This article by Nikkey Dawn was originally published on the Tourism Whistler blog.
The perfect Whistler escape means something different to everyone. For the on-the-go parent, it might be two hours of "me time" during the annual family vacation. For someone at the pinnacle of their career, it could mean an entire "think week" to come up with their next big idea. But there is one thing everyone has in common - a dislike of decision fatigue. To make the planning stages of your getaway fun, we've highlighted a few of our favorite ways to relax and rejuvenate, based on your personal retreat style. If you're a never-fits-in-the-box kinda person, don't worry, we welcome you to pick through all three recipes for inspiration.
For the Busy Body
You lead a full life, which you love, but you also need your rest. Slow it right down here in Whistler. Whether you travel solo or with the family, it's the perfect place to make time for yourself to recharge. We know you don't like to slow it down too much (lest you get bored!) so rest assured there's lots in Whistler that will keep you engaged.
Treat yourself at The Spa at the Four Seasons - Credit: Four Seasons
- RnR Feature Facial at the Whistler Day Spa, this signature treatment will leave you positively glowing
- Royal Manicure or Royal Pedicure with OPI at the Taman Sari Royal Heritage Spa, get the "royal" treatment with a fresh look
- Organic Acai Hydration Wrap at The Spa at the Four Seasons, the ultimate full-body rejuvenation. This spa offers treatments for kids too if you want to make it a family activity!
Enjoy a day paddleboarding on the lake - Credit: Tourism Whistler/Justa Jeskova
Relax and rejuvenate at the Fairmont Chateau Whistler - Credit: Fairmont Chateau Whistler
The nicest part of staying at a hotel? Not having to go far to relax, and being able to get there in your robe. Most hotels in Whistler boast luxurious pools and hot tubs. The Pan Pacific pool features a view of all the action at the base of Whistler Mountain and the Fairmont Chateau has the most adorable sauna.
Have an Adventure
- Another kind of hydrotherapy, paddle peacefully down the River of Golden Dreams on a tour with Backroads Whistler or Whistler Eco Tours
- As a lifelong learner, you might also be interested in some of the outdoor clinics and workshops in the event calendar
Whistler is home to many restaurants that bridge the good-for-you with the indulgent, perfectly. Take yourself (or your travel partner) on a date night at Alta Bistro, Aura or The Raven Room. When you need to grab-and-go, The Green Moustache, Naked Sprout and Olives Market will have the delicious and nutritious options you're looking for.
For the Fit-cationer
You like to get a jumpstart on things; mornings, vacation planning and especially, summer. This is the season you can do all the things you love, often in the same day. You're here to experience Whistler but stay on track, you travel often and know how important it is to stick to your wellness plan. Whistler has your needs covered and will provide the excitement you crave.
- Get a sports massage from those that work on the pros at Back in Action
- Loosen those knots with a deep tissue massage at Vida Spa or dissolve any lingering stress with reflexology at Blue Highways Massage & Spa
- Your constant travel for work and play can put you at risk for colds and flus, get preventative with an Algea Immune Boosting Wrap at Avello Spa
Two mountain bikers exploring Whistler's mountainous scenery - Credit: Tourism Whistler
- If you're not sweating profusely, did you even work out? Sign up for bootcamp, drop-in for a Mountain Fit class or book a personal trainer at Whistler Core Climbing and Fitness Centre, Whistler Creek Athletic Club or Altitude Fitness.
- Keep it simple, get your workout in first thing at your hotel gym
- Up for a Whistler fitness test? Embrace the multi-sport day, the combination is up to you!
Reset and Rejuvenate
Enjoy an immersive spa experience at Scandinave Spa - Credit: Tourism Whistler/Justa Jeskova
The Scandinave Spa is where you'll find an immersive (and silent) spa experience. The benefits of the hot / cold therapy favour the bold, so it's right up your alley. Set in the forest and complete with hammocks, a steam room, sauna and a nutritious cafe, it's relaxation at its finest.
Have an Adventure
Enjoy the view while ziplining from mountain to mountain - Credit: Tourism Whistler/Justa Jeskova
- Get the heart beating with gravity-fed fun in the Whistler Mountain Bike Park
- Traverse from mountain to mountain via zipline
- Live like an Olympian and see how you do at biathlon or summer bobsleigh aka "Rolling Thunder" (sounds badass, right?)
Whistler has a very health-conscious community. Because of this, you'll find most restaurants have keto, paleo or other nutrition plan friendly menu items. Find your lean protein, fresh from the coast, at renowned seafood restaurants like Araxi, Bearfoot Bistro and Sushi Village.
For the Blissful
You are intuned with your body, mind and soul and what you're intuiting is that you need time and space to connect. It's the time of year to celebrate new growth and longer, light-filled days, what better place to do that than in nature-abundant Whistler. While this place does offer high-octane adventure, there's a slower, quieter undercurrent that draws people here. Whistler has always been a place for those seeking their own path, where will it take you?
Treat yourself to a spa day at The Spa at Nita Lake Lodge - Credit: Tourism Whistler
- Get an aura tune-up with a Reiki treatment at Avello Spa
- Balance your emotional, mental and spiritual body at an Acutonics Sound Healing session with Healing Hands Whistler
- Restore your entire nervous system with ila(TM) kundalini, a combination of essential oils, chakra healing and massage techniques offered at The Spa at Nita Lake Lodge
Start your day practicing yoga by the lake - Credit: Tourism Whistler
- Practice yoga at a studio, the Audain Art Museum or outdoors, you'll find a plethora of styles and lengths of classes on offer
- Rise with the sun and paddleboard across a still, misty lake as you take in the mountain views
Reset and Rejuvenate
Have an Adventure
Experience the SLCC Winter Feast at the Squamish Lil'wat Cultural Centre - Credit: Tourism Whistler/Justa Jeskova
- Go on a journey to discover ancient cedars, alpine lakes and cascading waterfalls on these walks and hikes
- Take a guided Forest Walk at the Squamish Lil'wat Cultural Centre and learn about the medicinal uses of indigenous plants
- Practice forest bathing in the old-growth rainforest
Whether you're flexitarian, vegan or somewhere in-between, available options are not something you need to worry about. Almost everywhere has at least one dish catering to vegan and veggies, see our Insider's Guide: Vegan and Vegetarian Eats to find the restaurants that go above and beyond.